Odd Facts about the area
Plattenville is one of the earliest settlements in Assumption.
Church of the Assumption
The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built there in 1793, the oldest in the state. Assumption parish was named after this church in 1807.
Paincourtville is a census-designated place with a population of 844 in the 2000 census, and a total area of 1.6 square miles.
Location Name History
Paincourtville was named, tradition says, after an early traveler was unable to buy a single loaf of bread there and called the area “short of bread town”.
St. Elizabeth Church & Bell
Paincourtville is home to St. Elizabeth Catholic Church, built in 1840, which is known for its large church bell which is set in special steel scaffolding outside of the church as it is too large for either of the church’s two towers.
Assumption Parish was established in 1807, as one of the original parishes of the Territory of Orleans.
Assumption Parish is one of the twenty-two Acadiana parishes. Its major product is sugar cane. In proportion to its area, Assumption Parish produces the most sugar of any parish of Louisiana.
In 1807, Assumption became the eighth parish of the Orleans Territory. Its history is rooted in its waterways and its large expanse of fertile soils ideal for farming. Settled in the middle 18th century by French and Spanish settlers, the area retains strong cultural ties to its past with conversational French still common among residents. Assumption was also a final destination for many of the French Acadians exiled from Nova Scotia between 1755 and 1764.
After the Confederacy forced the surrender of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, in 1861, the Assumption Parish Police Jury appropriated $1,000 to provide uniforms for military volunteers against the Union. By contrast, Lafayette Parish contributed $6,000. Plaquemines Parish approved a gift of $10 to $15 per month for needy volunteer families.